So I wanted to do a post showing everything about my diorama. I’ll be copying stuff from my older posts and combining and showing some new information. I made so many changes I thought it warranted a completed post again! Look at the old posts for some other views/information.
Here is the video I made for it when I first “completed” it:
The changes from that video to now:
Coke truck – Check all the vending machines I put in back. The side door you can see cases upon cases of coke ready for delivery!
Remove the very large car lift and replaced with 2 3D printed ones. It was just taking up too much room and I wanted one in the other bay so I figured they should look the same!
Added landscaping accessories
Completely redesigned and printed garage doors. The original ones were just way too thick. The new ones are at least half the thickness or skinnier. Also I removed all the windows except a few slits. These look like doors I’ve seen on automotive garages in the area!
Here are some new pictures I took:
Now here are the items printed mostly on photo paper:
Newspaper on couch
Price tag on rotors
Manilla folder and papers inside
All signs, posters, calendars, etc…
Bandit’s Garage “magnetic” decals for side of tow truck
Not sure if I mentioned or not but back in January I got rid of the Hictop 3DP-17 printer and bought a Prusa MK3S and wow am I loving it! I was able to do smaller and more detailed garage doors so I printed all new garage doors and tracks. I got rid of the big battery powered car loft also and printed 2 new ones that are stationary. I also put together a Coke truck model and printed a forklift. Here is the current look of the diorama!
I started building the diorama a few months back. I purchased some foam board and printed some corner pieces to hold it all together. Here is the dry fit:
I then adjusted the corner pieces(printed 3 more copies) and started to assemble. I also printed some sheets of bricks to see how at would start to look.
I continued to brick the inside and outside walls of all but the front piece. I also staged some accessories I purchased from ebay as well as some grass around the building.
I then put the front on and after a year, I finally got to put my garage doors together!
After that, I had to decide how to create the asphalt. I decided on black paint mixed with some very fine crafting sand. I painted that on and then parking space lines.
I had some models of men I had to put together and paint. I also created internal walls for a bathroom and printed a bunch of bathroom items.
I started gluing some of the accessories down. I also cut plastic and inserted into the garage door panels. Here are some pictures of the diorama as of the time of this post. And some pictures of the fence I will put around the dumpster once I stain them.
Sometime in the winter of 2017 I decided to buy a couple car models to spend time on while the wife and I were watching TV. I put a couple together and found the time very relaxing. I wanted a way to display my models when completed and using the clear cases just seemed boring. I decided to build a diorama or a service shop and began designing on paper and in my head. I found an issue locating any garage doors in the scale needed and my buddy Pat convinced me to buy a 3D printer and make them myself! I bought a printer(2 actually, first one was insufficient and I returned it) and started designing the garage doors in SketchUp. I got them all printed but then stored them away for about 8 months, when I started working on the diorama again. In between all that time, I printed a crap ton of other items, i.e. misc household items, Christmas and birthday gifts, anything I could think of! I was hooked! Anyone that wants to buy me a Prusa i3 MK3 you’d be my best friend for life!